I am seeing a huge improvement in boot performance since doing a system wide file by file defragementation of metadata. In fact in the four sequential boots since completing this process, I have not seen one open_ctree failure so far. This leads me to suspect that the open_ctree boot failures that have been plaguing me since install have been related to metadata fragmentation. So I would advise anyone else experiencing open_ctree boot problems to defragment their metatdata and see if that helps. It certainly seems to have helped me in that regard.