On 05/30/2013 02:55 PM, Stefan Behrens wrote:

On Thu, 30 May 2013 08:32:35 -0400, Josef Bacik wrote:
On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 05:17:06AM -0600, Papp Tamas wrote:
hi All,

I'm new on the list.

System:
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release:        13.04
Codename:       raring

Linux ctu 3.8.0-19-generic #30-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 1 16:35:23 UTC 2013 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

The symptom is the same with Saucy 3.9 kernel.

Can you try btrfs-next

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/josef/btrfs-next.git

if it's still not fixed please file a bug at bugzilla.kernel.org and make sure
the component is set to btrfs.  Thanks,

Papp is using an Intel X18-M/X25-M/X25-V G2 SSD. At least with an Intel
X25 SSD that identifies itself with "INTEL SSDSA2M080" and on one with
the ID "INTEL SSDSA2M040", I've tested whether they honor the flush
request. And these two SSDs don't do so, they ignore it. If you cut the
power after a flush request completes, the data that was written before
the flush request is gone, the write cache was _not_ flushed.

You can only disable the write cache during/after every boot "hdparm -W
0 /dev/sd..." (which reduces the SSDs write speed to about 4 MB/s), or
avoid such SSDs, or prepare to restore from backup occasionally.

Basically it means it's not safe to use this SSD?
I used it for 2 years with ext4 without any issue, before I switched to btrfs (on the root partition). In the meantime btrfs also was quite stable on my /data partition.

After I reinstalled thr system with btrfs, this issue happened two times.
But anyway, I thought cow should be able to handle these kind of issues by
design. Am I wrong?

Thanks,
tamas