On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 07:10:12AM -0600, anand jain wrote:

> On 06/11/2013 03:40 AM, Josef Bacik wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 08:59:15AM -0600, Anand Jain wrote:
> >> This adds two ioctl BTRFS_IOC_GET_FSIDS and BTRFS_IOC_GET_DEVS
> >> which reads the btrfs_fs_devices and btrfs_device structure
> >> from the kernel respectively.
> >>
> >> The information in these structure are useful to report the
> >> device/fs information in line with the kernel operations and
> >> thus immediately addresses the problem that 'btrfs fi show'
> >> command reports the stale information after device device add
> >> remove operation is performed. That is because btrfs fi show
> >> reads the disks directly.
> >>
> >> Further the frame-work provided here would help to enhance
> >> the btrfs-progs/library to read the other fs information and
> >> its device information. Also the frame work provided here is
> >> easily extensible to retrieve any other structure as future
> >> needs.
> >>

> > Please submit an xfstest along with this to test the new functionality so we
> > have something to test it with.  Make sure it runs properly if your patches
> > are
> > not in place since they obviously won't be for most people.  Once you have
> > an
> > xfstest I can properly test these patches.  Thanks,
>
>   This kernel patch supports a new cli option --kernel
>   under the existing command 'btrfs filesystem show'.
>   xfstest first of all would need testcase to test the
>   btrfs filesystem show which isn't there yet. Doing it
>   here deviate too much from the point here. But let
>   me try to quick get that.

No you just need a testcase to make sure --kernel is working properly, so make
it use SCRATCH_DEV_POOL and do things like make a file system, remove a device,
make sure its no longer there, add it back and make sure it pops up again, that
sort of thing.  We are trying to make btrfs more stable and I have no interest
in taking in new features/ioctls without a way to test them properly, so it is
not beside the point.  Thanks,

Josef