On Aug 16, 2013, at 10:30 AM, Zach Brown <z...@redhat.com> wrote:

>> So it appears that it only resized part of the file system which
>> lies on /dev/sda to 3G. This behavior is confusing as hell, is this
>> really desirable behaviour ?
>
> Yeah, 'btrfs filesystem resize' is misnamed.  It only resizes a
> specified device which defaults to devid 1 if you don't specify one.

I think there shouldn't be a default devid. If it's not specified, it should
fail.

On Aug 16, 2013, at 2:19 AM, Lukáš Czerner <lczer...@redhat.com> wrote:

> I do understand that you're able to specify devid to resize, however
> without devid specification this kind of does not make any sense. dm
> get it right, and it also has several different policies on handling
> this stuff and it was not easy to get this right. Is btrfs going to
> fix this somehow, it does it expect user to take care of this (I
> hope not). Because currently ssm is not able to resize btrfs
> correctly.

The Btrfs volume is like a combined VG/LV. So it seems to me it lacks the
granularity to do what can be done with LVM. When I shrink resize an LV, its
freed extents return to the VG without affecting the PV's or their partitioning.

When a Btrfs multiple device volume is shrunk resized, it directly affects the
partition size which must also be changed as a separate operation right now. I
don't see Btrfs having the same granularity as LVM in this respect.

Chris Murphy--