On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 04:43:57PM +0000, Duncan wrote:
> Hugo Mills posted on Wed, 20 Nov 2013 08:09:58 +0000 as excerpted:
>
> > RAID-0:  min 2 devices
> > RAID-10: min 4 devices
> > RAID-5:  min 2 devices (I think)
> > RAID-6:  min 3 devices (I think)
>
> RAID-5 should be 3-device minimum (each stripe consisting of two data
> segments and one parity segment, each on a different device).

   You can successfully run RAID-5 on two devices: one data device(*),
plus its parity. The parity check of a single piece of data is that
data, so it's equivalent to RAID-1 in that configuration. IIRC, the
MD-RAID code allows this; I can't remember if the btrfs RAID code does
or not, but it probably should do if it doesn't.

> And RAID-6 similarly four devices (two data and two parity).

   Similarly for RAID-6: it's a single data device(*), plus an
XOR-based parity (effectively a mirror), plus a more complex parity
calculation.

> Perhaps it's time I get that wiki account and edit some of this stuff
> myself...

   Do check the assumptions first. :)

   Hugo.

(*) Yeah, OK, rotate the data/parity position as you move through the
stripes because it's not RAID-4.

  PGP key: 65E74AC0 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
  --- In my day, we didn't have fancy high numbers.  We had "nowt", ---
                    "one",  "twain" and "multitudes".