On Jan 20, 2014, at 9:08 AM, George Mitchell <geo...@chinilu.com> wrote:

> After reading the recent posts on this topic I am beginning to think there is
> some real confusion between "check sums" and "parity".

Yes, I often see conventional raid6 assumed to always be capable of detecting
and correcting corruption, not merely the ability to rebuild missing data of
known location and length in a stripe (known either due to the drive reporting
read error along with LBA; or a physical device becoming unavailable or
unresponsive).

> But I CAN see how bad RAM could affect parity calculations and resulting data
> IN THE ABSENCE of protective checksums and cannot help but wonder if THAT is
> what the original article is describing.

Does Btrfs (and I'd presume ZFS) raid5/6 checksum both data and parity chunks?
And in the case of raid6 are the two parities separately checksummed?

Chris Murphy