On Feb 3, 2014, at 11:19 AM, Matthew Lai <m...@matthewlai.ca> wrote:

> Thanks. I should clarify what I'm trying to do.
>
> I'm trying to use btrfs send for backup, without having another btrfs volume.
>
> So the initial backup is a complete send, piped to Amazon Glacier (so my
> machine never has the whole file, and doesn't have space for one).

OK so you've use btrfs send piped to Glacier which creates a *file*, I'll call
it "initial", not a navigable directory of files? Right?

> At the same time I'm keeping a snapshot of the current volume.
>
> On the next incremental backup, I would use the first snapshot as the parent,
> and send the differences to Glacier again (without having the entire file on
> the system at any time).

That's fine as long as the stdout from btrfs send ends up as a self contained
file on Glacier. I'll call this "increment1"

> It looks like the problem now is the sent file can't be applied to the
> original volume (for restore).

I'm counting two sent files: initial, increment1. I'm not sure which one you're
applying. If you have the exact same read-only snapshot that the btrfs send
file "initial" is based on, then you'd apply the increment1 to that read-only
snapshot which will cause a new read-only snapshot to be created with the
incremental data applied to it. The error you're getting sounds like the parent
read-only snapshot isn't available?

Have you tried -vv flag to get more verbose error information when using btrfs
receive?

Chris Murphy--