On 2014/02/13 09:02 PM, Kai Krakow wrote:
Hi!

Is it technically possible to wait for a snapshot completely purged from
disk? I imagine an option like "--wait" for btrfs delete subvolume.

This would fit some purposes I'm planning to implement:

* In a backup scenario
I have a similar use-case for this also involving backups. In my case I have a script that uses a btrfs filesystem for the backup store using snapshots. At the end of each run, if diskspace usage is below a predefined threshold, it will delete old snapshots until the diskspace usage is below that threshold again.

Of course, the first time I added the automatic deletion, it deleted far more than was necessary due to the fact that the actual freeing of diskspace is asynchronous from the command completion. I ended up setting a small delay (of about 60 seconds) between each iteration and also set it to monitor system load. If load is not low enough after the delay then it waits another 60 seconds.

This complicated (frankly broken) workaround would be completely unnecessary with a --wait switch.

Alternatively, perhaps a knob where we can see if a subvolume deletion is in progress could help.