Put me in on Team Justin on this particular issue. I get and grant that in some use cases you might get pathological behavior out of DB or VM binaries which aren't set NODATACOW, but in my own use - including several near-terabyte-size VM images being used by ten+ people all day long for their primary work - I haven't personally observed any pathological behavior, and I *don't* have NODATACOW set.

I would prefer to have the benefits of COW being turned on unless and until I categorically NEED to disable it in order to avoid pathological performance issues.

Also note that ZFS doesn't even *have* a NODATACOW option, is generally less performant than btrfs in general in my experience, and yet I've been running 100-ish VMs - not toys, actual depended-on-by-lots-of-people-daily-workhorses - in .qcow2-on-ZFS format for years now without issue.

IME, IMO, the potential performance problems with COW and db/vm do /exist/ but they're way, WAY overstated, and unlikely to rear their heads at all in the majority of use-cases.