Am Donnerstag, 10. April 2014, 17:51:26 schrieb Michael Schuerig:
> On Thursday 10 April 2014 15:15:02 Duncan wrote:
> > Meanwhile (2), given the existence of those tested backups, there's
> > yet  another way to accomplish things.  Simply restore from the
> > backups the same way you would if the working copy went down and you
> > had to restore it, only restore to the new device instead of the old
> > one.  =:^)
>
> As the OP, let me insist that I have multiple backups. However and
> unfortunately, those backups do not contain the snapshots that I'd like
> to preserve when exchanging the disk. What makes the case complicate is
> not the question how to preserve and copy the current data; it's how to
> retain the historic data embodied in snapshots.

Well I think this is scriptable – although this would be some work.

Like this – pseudo shell code without verifying exact argument order:

- for each subvolume create according subvolume in destination
- for each snapshot – from oldest to newest:
  - rsync / btrfs send snapshot
  - snapshot with same name
  - rsync next newer snapshot

I have snapshots on backup drive… so I´d probably ditch snapshots on
production side… but if you want them… thats another idea.

Although I like the balance idea as well. I used it to RAID-1 my /home to dual
SSD setup. But I didn´t to the degrading step.

Ciao,