On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 10:38:45AM +0000, Holger Hoffstätte wrote:

> So I'm happily using subvolumes and snapshots and was wondering about
> subvolume low-level isolation. Assuming metadata=single, would a corrupt
> metadata block in one subvolume's directory tree affect any other subvolumes
> on the same physical partition, or would the fallout from this bad block be
> contained?

   With snapshots, potentially the FS trees can be shared as well
(that's what a snapshot is -- it's a CoW copy of the FS tree of a
subvol), so a corrupt block in the FS tree could be shared between the
subvols.

   With separately-created subvolumes (btrfs sub crea), the FS trees
will be independent from each other, but they will still share the
same extent tree (and all the other trees).

   Hugo.

  PGP key: 65E74AC0 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
  --- You've read the project plan.  Forget that. We're going to Do ---
                      Stuff and Have Fun doing it.