On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 11:42:09AM -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:

> On Apr 21, 2014, at 3:09 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.dun...@cox.net> wrote:
>
> > Adam Brenner posted on Sun, 20 Apr 2014 21:56:10 -0700 as excerpted:
> >
> >> So ... BTRFS at this point in time, does not actually "stripe" the data
> >> across N number of devices/blocks for aggregated performance increase
> >> (both read and write)?
> >
> > What Chris says is correct, but just in case it's unclear as written, let
> > me try a reworded version, perhaps addressing a few uncaught details in
> > the process.
>
> Another likely problem is terminology. It's 2014 and still we don't have
> consistency in basic RAID terminology. We're functionally in the 19th century
> uncoordinated disagreement of weights and measures, except maybe worse
> because we sometimes have multiple words that mean the same thing; as if
> there were multiple words for the term gram or meter. It's just nonsensical
> and selfish that this continues to persist across various file system
> projects.
>
> It's not immediately obvious to the btrfs newcomer that the md raid chunk
> isn't the same thing as the btrfs chunk, for example.
>
> And strip, chunk, stripe unit, and stripe size get used interchangeably to
> mean the same thing, while just as often stripe size means something
> different. The best definition I've found so far is IBM's stripe unit
> definition: "granularity at which data is stored on one drive of the array
> before subsequent data is stored on the next drive of the array" which is in
> bytes. So that's the smallest raid unit we find on a drive, therefore it is a
> base unit in RAID, and yet we have no agreement on what word to use.
>
> And it's not really like the storage industry trade association, SNIA, who
> published a dictionary of terms in 2013, really helps in this area. I'll
> argue they make it worse because they deprecate the term chunk, in favor of
> the terms strip and stripe element. NO kidding, two terms mean the same
> thing. Yet strip and stripe are NOT the same thing.
>
> strip = stripe element
> stripe = set of strips
> strip size = stripe depth
> stripe size = strip size * extents not including parity extents
>
> Also the units are in blocks (sectors, not fs blocks and not bytes). The
> terms stripe unit, stripe width, and stride aren't found in the SNIA
> dictionary at all although they are found as terms in other file system
> projects.
>
> So no matter how we look at it, everyone else is doing it wrong.

   Also not helped by btrfs's co-option of the term "RAID-1" to mean
something that's not traditional RAID-1, and (internally) "stripe" and
"chunk" to mean things that don't match (I think) any of the
definitions above...

   Hugo.

  PGP key: 65E74AC0 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
        --- A clear conscience.  Where did you get this taste ---
                         for luxuries,  Bernard?