Chris,

> OpenSUSE 12.3 is using kernel 3.7 which is also old for this sort of recovery
> attempt. Even openSUSE 13.1 is at 3.11.6 which might work in a bind, but if
> it doesn't, inevitably someone will suggest you use something even newer.

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it a lot.

> Current stable is 3.14.1, I suggest giving 3.13 or 3.14 a shot at this with
> -o ro,recovery as a first step and see if it at least mounts.

I will. Note that with 12.3, which was the most recent media I had at
hand at the time, the FS was actually mountable at first (-o
ro,recovery). But there was no /home and later attempts to actually
access data in other subvolumes failed with the messages in my debug
material.

> And an old kernel implies old btrfs-progs too, which is where the code for
> btrfsck and btrfs restore is contained. So that needs to be at least v 3.12.
> And hopefully you didn't use --repair with btrfsck yet.

I did, but I made a block-level copy of the device before.

Thanks again
Martin