On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 05:04:10PM -0400, Sergey Ivanyuk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a filesystem that I've converted to raid6 from raid1, on 4 drives (I
> have another copy of the data):
>
>         Total devices 4 FS bytes used 924.64GiB
>         devid    1 size 1.82TiB used 474.00GiB path /dev/sdd
>         devid    2 size 465.76GiB used 465.76GiB path /dev/sda
>         devid    3 size 465.76GiB used 465.76GiB path /dev/sdb
>         devid    4 size 465.76GiB used 465.73GiB path /dev/sdc
>
> Data, RAID6: total=924.00GiB, used=923.42GiB
> System, RAID1: total=32.00MiB, used=208.00KiB
> Metadata, RAID1: total=1.70GiB, used=1.28GiB
> Metadata, DUP: total=384.00MiB, used=252.13MiB
> unknown, single: total=512.00MiB, used=0.00
>

> Recent btrfs-progs built from source, kernel 3.15.0-rc2 on armv7l. Despite
> having plenty of space left on the larger drive, attempting to copy more
> data onto the filesystem results in a kworker process pegged at 100% CPU
> for a very long time (10s of minutes), at which point the writes proceed
> for some time, and the process repeats until the eventual "No space left on
> device" error. Balancing fails with the same error, even if attempting to
> convert back to raid1.
>
> I realize that this likely has something to do with the disparity between
> device sizes, and per the wiki a fixed-width stripe may help, though I'm
> not sure if it's possible to change the stripe width in my situation, since
> I can't rebalance. Is there anything I can do to get this filesystem back
> to writable state?

   With those device sizes, yes, you're going to have limits on the
available data you can store -- with RAID-6, it'll be 465.76*(4-2) =
931.52 GB (less metadata space), so your conclusion above is indeed
correct.

   We don't have the fixed-width stripe feature implemented yet, which
probably explains why you can't use it. :) You can play with an
approximation of the consequences, once the feature is there, at
http://carfax.org.uk/btrfs-usage/ . Without that feature, though,
there's not much you can do to improve the situation. What might help
in converting back to RAID-1 is adding a small device to the FS
temporarily before doing the conversion, and then removing it again
afterwards.

> Also, here's a stack trace for the stuck kworker process, which appears to
> be a bug since it does this for a very long time:

   This is probably something different.

   Hugo.

  PGP key: 65E74AC0 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
     --- Computer Science is not about computers,  any more than ---
                     astronomy is about telescopes.