Duncan <1i5t5.duncan <at> cox.net> writes:

> To those that know the details, this tells the story.
>
> Btrfs raid5/6 modes are not yet code-complete, and scrub is one of the
> incomplete bits.  btrfs scrub doesn't know how to deal with raid5/6
> properly just yet.
>
> While the operational bits of raid5/6 support are there, parity is
> calculated and written, scrub, and recovery from a lost device, are not
> yet code complete.  Thus, it's effectively a slower, lower capacity raid0
> without scrub support at this point, except that when the code is
> complete, you'll get an automatic "free" upgrade to full raid5 or raid6,
> because the operational bits have been working since they were
> introduced, just the recovery and scrub bits were bad, making it
> effectively a raid0 in reliability terms, lose one and you've lost them
> all.
>
> That's the big picture anyway.  Marc Merlin recently did quite a bit of
> raid5/6 testing and there's a page on the wiki now with what he found.
> Additionally, I saw a scrub support for raid5/6 modes patch on the list
> recently, but while it may be in integration, I believe it's too new to
> have reached release yet.
>
> Wiki, for memory or bookmark: https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org
>
> Direct user documentation link for bookmark (unwrap as necessary):
>
> https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/
> Main_Page#Guides_and_usage_information
>
> The raid5/6 page (which I didn't otherwise see conveniently linked, I dug
> it out of the recent changes list since I knew it was there from on-list
> discussion):
>
> https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/RAID56
>
>  <at>  Marc or Hugo or someone with a wiki account:  Can this be more visibly
> linked from the user-docs contents, added to the user docs category list,
> and probably linked from at least the multiple devices and (for now) the
> gotchas pages?

So raid5 is much more useless than I assumed. I read Marc's blog and
figured that btrfs was ready enough.

I' really in trouble now. I tried to get rid of raid5 by doing a convert
balance to raid1. But of course this triggered the same issue. And now
I have a dead system because the first thing btrfs does after mounting
is continue the balance which will crash the system and send me into
a vicious loop.

- How can I stop btrfs from continuing balancing?
- How can I salvage this situation and convert to raid1?

Unfortunately I have little spare drives left. Not enough to contain
4.7TiB of data.. :(