> N-copies, M-device-stripe, P-parity-devices (NcMsPp)

At expense of being the terminology nut, who doesn't even like SNIA's chosen
terminology because it's confusing, I suggest a concerted effort to either use
SNIA's terms anyway, or push back and ask them to make changes before
propagating deviant terminology.

Strip is a consecutive blocks on a single extent (on a single device)
Strip size is the number of blocks in a single extent (on a single device)

Stripe is a set of strips on each member extent (on multiple devices)
Stripe size is strip size times non-parity extents.

e.g. Btrfs default strip size is 64KiB, therefore a 5 disk raid5 volume stripe
size is 256KiB. I use and specify size units in bytes rather than SNIAs blocks
(sectors) because it's less ambiguous.

In other words, for M- what we care about is the strip size, which is what
md/mdadm calls a chunk. We can't know the stripe size without knowing how many
non-parity member devices there are.

Chris Murphy