On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 3:52 AM, Marc MERLIN <m...@merlins.org> wrote:
> On Wed, May 07, 2014 at 09:29:41AM +0100, Hugo Mills wrote:
>> >
>> > zoneminder saves 'video' as a stream of independent small jpegs, so I'm
>> > good. Actually come to think of it they're so small that they probably
>> > all ended up in the raid1 metadata. That also means that I'm not getting
>> > twice the storage space like I planned to. Oh well...
>>
>>    There's a mount option to change the threshold at which files are
>> inlined in metadata: maxinline=<bytes>. You could play with that for
>> this particular use-case.
>
> Oh cool, thank you.

Since each non-inlined file will occupy a minimum of 4k, you may find
that inlining will still save space even if it is duplicated.

Even if they are duplicated in the metadata under RAID1, inlining a
bunch of 256 byte files will still be more space efficient than
storing them as regular files.

But if most of the files are in the 2k-3k range, you may be more
efficient to store them as files.