On 2014/05/19 10:36 PM, Martin wrote:
On 18/05/14 17:09, Russell Coker wrote:
On Sat, 17 May 2014 13:50:52 Martin wrote:
[...]
Do you see or measure any real advantage?
[snip]
This is extremely difficult to measure objectively. Subjectively ... see below.
[snip]

*What other failure modes* should we guard against?

I know I'd sleep a /little/ better at night knowing that a double disk failure on a "raid5/1/10" configuration might ruin a ton of data along with an obscure set of metadata in some "long" tree paths - but not the entire filesystem.

The other use-case/failure mode - where you are somehow unlucky enough to have sets of bad sectors/bitrot on multiple disks that simultaneously affect the only copies of the tree roots - is an extremely unlikely scenario. As unlikely as it may be, the scenario is a very painful consequence in spite of VERY little corruption. That is where the peace-of-mind/bragging rights come in.