On Jun 23, 2014, at 4:18 PM, Mike Hartman <m...@hartmanipulation.com> wrote:

> Can anyone offer any suggestions? Is this data really unrecoverable? I
> have no idea what could have gone so severely wrong.

"btrfs check --repair /media/mint/usb_data/sda6_check.img
"btrfs check --repair --init-csum-tree --init-extent-tree
/media/mint/usb_data/sda6_check.img

I think these things are going too far on actual file system without guidance,
so it's superb you imaged the original drive first. Too many people get
aggressive writing to the actual drive without backup images. You have both a
dd image as well as btrfs-image which is really great. Hopefully someone can
help find out what happened, it seems abruptly catastrophic, but also mixes
messages where some information is being found but this one:
        • read block failed check_tree_block
makes me think of partial media failure. It would be damn bad luck if your
metadata is set to DUP, yet both copies are toast. Is this an HDD or SSD?

Can you post the result from smartctl -x /dev/sdX   #for the disk in question,
maybe from a live system?

Chris Murphy