On Aug 10, 2014, at 8:53 PM, Austin S Hemmelgarn <ahferro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Another thing that isn't listed there, that I would personally love to
> see is support for secure file deletion.  To be truly secure though,
> this would need to hook into the COW logic so that files marked for
> secure deletion can't be reflinked (maybe make the automatically NOCOW
> instead, and don't allow snapshots?), and when they get written to, the
> blocks that get COW'ed have the old block overwritten.

If the file is reflinked or snapshot, then it can it be secure deleted? Because
what does it mean to secure delete a file when there's a completely independent
file pointing to the same physical blocks? What if someone else owns that
independent file? Does the reflink copy get rm'd as well? Or does the file
remain, but its blocks are zero'd/corrupted?

For SSDs, whether it's an overwrite or an FITRIM ioctl it's an open question
when the data is actually irretrievable. It may be seconds, but could be much
longer (hours?) so I'm not sure if it's useful. On HDD's using SMR it's not
necessarily a given an overwrite will work there either.

Chris Murphy--