On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 09:10:55AM +0530, Shriramana Sharma wrote:
> Hello people. Thank you for your detailed replies, esp Duncan.
>
> In essence, I plan on using BTRFS for my production data -- mainly
> programs/documents I write in connection with my academic research.
> I'm not a professional sysadmin and I'm not running a business server.
> I'm just managing my own data, and as I have mentioned, my chief
> reason for looking at BTRFS is the ease of snapshots and backups using
> send/receive.
>
> It is clear now that snapshots are by and large stable but
> send/receive is not. But, IIUC, even if send/receive fails I still

I wouldn't quite agree with that, btrfs send/receive has been working
fairly well for me on multiple systems for multiple backups per day.
My laptop oftens fails to complete a btrfs send to my server remotely
over the internet, and it recovers on its own a the next cron run and
sends the a newer bigger diff next time and it just works.

Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/                         | PGP 1024R/763BE901