On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 1:09 AM, Anand Jain <anand.j...@oracle.com> wrote:
From: Anand Jain <anand.j...@oracle.com>

(added RFC prefix to the patch header)
(as of now just an experimental interface)

This patch introduces profs interface /proc/fs/btrfs/devlist,
which as of now exports all the members of kernel fs_devices.

The current /sys/fs/btrfs interface works when the fs is
mounted, and is on the file directory hierarchy and also has
the sysfs limitation max output of U64 per file.

Here btrfs procfs uses seq_file to export all the members of
fs_devices. Also shows the contents when device is not mounted,
but have registered with btrfs kernel (useful as an alternative
to buggy ready ioctl)

An attempt is made to follow the some standard file format
output such as ini. So that a simple warper python script will
provide end user useful interfaces.

Further planning to add few more members to the interface such as
group profile info. The long term idea is to make procfs
interface a onestop btrfs application interface for the device and
fs info from the kernel, where a simple python script can make
use of it.

Hi Anand,

We're going to have a really hard time getting a new proc interface merged in, and after we've recently fixed up all (most?) of our sysfs races, I'd rather not have to do it all over again with /proc. I know the lack of a seq interface is a difficult compromise to make in sysfs, but at this point I think we're stuck with it. Which specific part do you hope to improve by dumping more information out in a single file?

-chris