Hi,

Here's a simple raid1 recovery experiment that's not working as expected.

kernel: 3.17, latest mainline
progs: 3.16.1

I started with a simple raid1 mirror of 2 drives (sda and sdb). The
filesystem is functional, I created one subvol, put some data,
read/write tested etc..

yanked the sdb out. (this is physical/hardware). btrfs fi show prints
drive missing, as expected.

powered the machine down. removed the "bad"(yanked out sdb) drive and
replaced it with a new drive. Powered up the machine.

The new drive shows up as sdb. btrfs fi show still prints drive missing.

mounted the filesystem with ro,degraded

tried adding the "new" sdb drive which results in the following error.
(-f because the new drive has a fs from past)

# btrfs device add -f /dev/sdb /mnt2/raid1pool
/dev/sdb is mounted

Unless I am missing something, this looks like a bug.

Let me know, I can retest.

Thanks
Suman