On 10/28/2014 01:32 PM, Zack Coffey wrote:
Made a RAID1 with another drive of just the metadata. Was in
that state for less than 12 hours-ish, removed the second drive and
now cannot get to any data on the original drive. Data remained single
while only metadata was RAID1.

I don't know all the details but I would _never_ suspect the action you described to _not_ hose up the file system.

The "single" mode is not "restrict to one drive" its concatenation, as in treat the entire space as if it were a single drive.

In that twelve hour window data migrated. I _think_ directories may count as data in this sense. If a key element (say the root directory) migrated onto the disk you eventually removed then there is no root directory to read. And if not root, then any secondary directory you choose.

So sure your checksum trees and your extent maps were all duplicated in the mirror, but your actual data -- you know all those files that were copied on write -- may well be only on that second drive you pulled out.

RAID metadata, and non RAID1 data, would not safely allow for failure (or removal) of one drive.

I'm not sure what you expected to happen but what you did is full of fail.

You need to put the second drive back in and then coerce all the data back to the first drive. "btrfs device delete" is what you want. You _may_ need to switch the metadata back to "single" before the delete.

--Rob.