Robert White posted on Tue, 18 Nov 2014 02:39:48 -0800 as excerpted:

> How does one get the exact size (in blocks preferably, but bytes okay)
> of the filesystem inside a partition? I know how to get the partition
> size, but that's not useful when shrinking a partition...

> There needs to be an option to btrfs filesystem show that will tell you
> XXXXXblocks, not Y.ZZ terabytes.

While having a btrfs fi show option for that would be nice, take a look
at the output of btrfs-show-super.

The dev_item.total_bytes line appears to be the total filesystem bytes --
at least here on my exactly-8-GiB partitions, that's /exactly/ what it
shows, 8589934592, which is 8*1024*1024*1024, and my /exactly/ 256 MiB
partition shows 268435456, /exactly/ 256 MiB, as well.

The total_bytes line is the full /filesystem/ size, which should be the
same as the dev_item.total_bytes number on a single-device-filesystem.
Of course on my two-device btrfs filesystems here it's showing double the
single-device size, which is as it should be.

But you're correct, having a btrfs fi show option for that would be more
end-user friendly.  The btrfs-show-super output is rather low-level for
that, but it does work.