Zygo Blaxell posted on Fri, 21 Nov 2014 12:56:23 -0500 as excerpted:

> It's not a bug as long as I can completely control which devices are
> searched for UUIDs, and the system behaves sanely when multiple UUIDs
> are found through automatic discovery; otherwise, it's not only a bug,
> it's a DoS attack security vulnerability.  Consider what happens if
> someone looks at /sys/fs/btrfs, reads the non-secret UUIDs, builds a
> fake filesystem with those UUIDs, puts the fake filesystem on a USB
> stick, and plugs it back into the victim machine...

With the current state of USB vulnerability (firmware reprogrammed as an
input device, etc, the vuln has been all over the tech news for some
months now), anyone with USB access to the machine is simply another case
of anyone with physical access to the machine, they're normally assumed
to be able to be able to at minimum take down the machine, the ultimate
DoS, in any case, and often to have effective root, tho that can be
mitigated to some extent with encryption, etc.  It's generally assumed
that if you have physical access, as required to plug in that USB, game
over, the machine is effectively p40wn3d.  At the /very/ least, with
physical access it's vulnerable to the sledgehammer DoS, and there's
little to be done about that but prevent physical access by all means
necessary (armed guards, nuclear silo hosting, etc) in the first place.