Am Fri, 14 Nov 2014 17:00:26 -0500
schrieb Josef Bacik <jba...@fb.com>:

> On 11/14/2014 04:51 PM, Hugo Mills wrote:
> >     Chris, Josef, anyone else who's interested,
> >
> >     On IRC, I've been seeing reports of two persistent unsolved
> > problems. Neither is showing up very often, but both have turned up
> > often enough to indicate that there's something specific going on
> > worthy of investigation.
> >
> >     One of them is definitely a btrfs problem. The other may be btrfs,
> > or something in the block layer, or just broken hardware; it's hard to
> > tell from where I sit.
> >
> > Problem 1: ENOSPC on balance
> >
> >     This has been going on since about March this year. I can
> > reasonably certainly recall 8-10 cases, possibly a number more. When
> > running a balance, the operation fails with ENOSPC when there's plenty
> > of space remaining unallocated. This happens on full balance, filtered
> > balance, and device delete. Other than the ENOSPC on balance, the FS
> > seems to work OK. It seems to be more prevalent on filesystems
> > converted from ext*. The first few or more reports of this didn't make
> > it to bugzilla, but a few of them since then have gone in.
> >
> > Problem 2: Unexplained zeroes
> >
> >     Failure to mount. Transid failure, "expected xyz, have 0". Chris
> > looked at an early one of these (for Ke, on IRC) back in September
> > (the 27th -- sadly, the public IRC logs aren't there for it, but I can
> > supply a copy of the private log). He rapidly came to the conclusion
> > that it was something bad going on with TRIM, replacing some blocks
> > with zeroes. Since then, I've seen a bunch of these coming past on
> > IRC. It seems to be a 3.17 thing. I can successfully predict the
> > presence of an SSD and -odiscard from the "have 0". I've successfully
> > persuaded several people to put this into bugzilla and capture
> > btrfs-images.  btrfs recover doesn't generally seem to be helpful in
> > recovering data.
> >

> >     I think Josef had problem 1 in his sights, but I don't know if
> > additional images or reports are helpful at this point. For problem 2,
> > there's obviously something bad going on, but there's not much else to
> > go on -- and the inability to recover data isn't good.
> >
> >     For each of these, what more information should I be trying to
> > collect from any future reporters?
> >

> So for #2 I've been looking at that the last two weeks.  I'm always
> paranoid we're screwing up one of our data integrity sort of things,
> either not waiting on IO to complete properly or something like that.
> I've built a dm target to be as evil as possible and have been running
> it trying to make bad things happen.  I got slightly side tracked since
> my stress test exposed a bug in the tree log stuff an csums which I just
> fixed.  Now that I've fixed that I'm going back to try and make the
> "expected blah, have 0" type errors happen.

Just a quick question from a user: does Filipe's patch "Btrfs: fix race between
fs trimming and block group remove/allocation" fix this?  Judging by the commit
message, it looks like it.  If so, can you say whether it will make it into
3.17.x?

Maybe I'm being overly paranoid, but I stuck with 3.16.7 because of this.  (I
mean, I have backups, but there's no need to provoke a situation where I will
need them ;-) .)

--
Marc Joliet
don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup