Robert White posted on Wed, 26 Nov 2014 15:18:26 -0800 as excerpted:

> I also don't see anything in the code that says "this ioctl will create
> the checksums for the selected file" so you may have to do the copy you
> tried to avoid.

Note that btrfs check has an --init-csum-tree switch.  In a new enough
btrfs-progs, I think it even works as one might expect!  (In older
versions it would init the tree... by zeroing it for everything!)

FWIW I'm running btrfs-progs v3.17.1 here, but I've not updated in a few
days and think I might have seen someone mention v3.17.2.

But I've not tested it.  The normal btrfs check caution applies:  Before
using btrfs check in anything other than read-only mode (without any of
the repair/init options), have a backup if you care about anything on the
filesystem, as there's a chance it might eat it instead of fixing it.