On 11/29/2014 01:41 AM, Duncan wrote:
Robert White posted on Sat, 29 Nov 2014 00:20:11 -0800 as excerpted:
l       Display a summary of partition types. GPT uses a GUID to
        identify partition types for particular OSes and purposes. For
        ease of data entry, gdisk compresses these into two-byte
        (four-digit hexadecimal) values that are related to their
                equivalent MBR codes.  Specifically, the MBR code is multiplied
        by hexadecimal 0x0100.

That EFI uses GUIDs is one thing. That the standard allows these to be selected based on type codes originally derived from ms-dos partition type codes ("compressed" is the wrong word) is something else. If they were "compressed" then it would be a relationship that could represent any GUID at all. It's marginally hashed, in that there is a table lookup, but its not properly a hashed as the "hash function" is undefined for virtually all possible input values.

The other partition GUID is acutally more interesting.

So as I said, gdisk uses a 4-hexit short code based on the legacy MBR
type-code as an easy entry and display form referencing the longer and
much less human readable GUIDs, just like I said, and such usage is gdisk
specific, just like I said I thought it was.

Which is not what you said. None of the above was mentioned in the email to which I responded.

What you actually said ::

[QUOTE]
Since I can't/won't run pretty much anything proprietary, there's little chance of it being taken as anything but Linux, here. (Tho I actually use (c)gdisk for partitioning here and it appears to use a different GUID. (0700 in its short form which AFAIK is gdisk specific, for MS basic data, while it uses 8300 for general Linux filesystems. I could look up the long form GUIDs, but meh...)
[/QUOTE]

None of which is "gdisk specific", and all of which is based on EFI and the GUID partition table.

What I mistakenly attributed to you and was key to my initial response was your extension of Chris Murphy:
>>> Chris Murphy posted on Fri, 28 Nov 2014 00:10:40 -0700 as excerpted:

[So my bad there on the quoting...]

The irking there being dumb because the universally used "type GUID" has nothing to do with the second GUID that universally identifies the partition regardless of type.

But here is the thing... for all the screed about open and closed source... (and I am an open source guy myself) The actual EFI standard dictates these partition numbers and whatnot so if you used the microsoft tools you'd get the same results.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table#Partition_type_GUIDs

AND microsoft was one of several principle players in the EFI and its GUID partition subparts.

So his being "irked to no end" and your agreement and "that's why I used gdisk" response are both completely misplaced, and potentially misleading to others.

I just went a little off the rails while trying to explain. /D'oh.