Robert White <rwh...@pobox.com> writes:

> You don't check your car's gas tank every time you put your foot on
> the brake, you don't want to check your free space every time your
> system finishes every tiny command you type.

Well, actually my car makes a bling every 10 km once it reaches <=80 km
range, and I don't mind it at all ;-).

As an actual answer, there are monitoring systems that do this, such as
Icinga (fork of Nagios). In fact, I just recently had the same problem -
starting a big download might eat up the space and thus terminate the
download prematurely although I was in position for hours to make up
more space, so I installed Icinga. Haven't yet configured yet, though,
so cannot say if it's going to help me :-).

A practical alternative: one could write a script that outputs only the
amount of free space in a device and add that number to your prompt;
possibly to your RPROMPT as to now take too much space from your command
line. Idea extensible to displaying only space from volumes with space
less than a critical amount etc.