On Sat, Dec 27, 2014 at 01:28:46PM -0500, Zygo Blaxell wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 27, 2014 at 09:30:43AM +0000, Hugo Mills wrote:
> >    Now, since you're seeing lockups when the space on your disks is
> > all allocated I'd say that's a bug. However, you're the *only* person
> > who's reported this as a regular occurrence. Does this happen with all
> > filesystems you have, or just this one?
>
> I do see something similar, but there are so many problems going on I
> have no idea which ones to report, and which ones are my own doing.  :-P
>
> I see lots of CPU being burned when all the disk space is allocated
> to chunks, but there is still lots of space free (multiple GB) inside
> the chunks.
>
> iotop shows a crapton of disk writes (1-5MB/sec) from one kworker.
> There are maybe a few kB/sec of writes through the filesystem at the time.
>
> The filesystem where I see this most is on a laptop, so the disk writes
> also hit the CPU again for encryption.  There's so much CPU usage it's
> worth mentioning twice.  :-(
>
> 'watch cat /proc/12345/stack' on the active processes shows the kernel
> fairly often in that new chunk deallocator function whose name escapes
> me at the moment.
>
> Deleting a bunch of data then running balance helps return to sane CPU
> usage...for a while (maybe a week?).
>
> It's not technically "locked up" per se, but when a 5KB download takes
> a minute or more, most users won't wait around to see the difference.
>
> Kernel versions I'm using are 3.17.7 and 3.18.1.

   OK, so I'd like to change my statement above.

   When I first read Martin's problem, I thought that he was referring
to a complete, hit-the-power-button kind of lock-up. Given that
(erroneous) assumption, I stand by my (now pointless) statement. :)

   I realised during a brief conversation on IRC that Martin was
actually referring to long but temporary periods where the machine is
unusable by any process requiring disk activity. There's clearly a
number of people seeing that.

   It doesn't stop it being a major problem, but it does change the
interpretation considerably.

   Hugo.

--
Hugo Mills             | Mixing mathematics and alcohol is dangerous. Don't
hugo@... carfax.org.uk | drink and derive.