On Wed, 04 Feb 2015 10:10:55 +0800, Qu Wenruo wrote:
> *** Please DON'T merge this patch, it's only for disscusion purpose ***
>
> There are sysfs interfaces in some fs, only btrfs yet, which will modify
> on-disk data.
> Unlike normal file operation routine we can use mnt_want_write_file() to
> protect the operation, change through sysfs won't to be binded to any file
> in the filesystem.
>
> So introduce new sb_want_write() to do the protection agains a super
> block, which acts much like mnt_want_write() but will return success if
> the super block is read-write.
>
> Since sysfs handler don't go through the normal vfsmount, so it won't
> increase the refcount of and even we have sb_want_write() waiting sb to
> be unfrozen, the fs can still be unmounted without problem.
> Causing the modules unable to be removed and user can find out what's
> wrong until
>
> To solve such problem, we have different strategies to solve it.
> 1) Extra check on last instance umount of a sb
> This is the method the patch uses.
> This method seems valid enough, since we want to get write protection on
> a sb, so it's OK for the sb if there is *ANY* mount instance.
> Problem 1.1)
> But lsof and other tools won't help if sb_want_write() on frozen fs cause
> it unable to be unmounted.
>
> Problem 1.2)
> When get namespace involved, things will get more complicated.
> Like the following case:
>       Alice                           |               Bob
> Mount devA on /mnt1 in her ns         | Mount devA on /mnt2/ in his ns
> freeze /mnt1                          |
> sb_want_write() (waiting)             |
> umount /mnt1 (success since there is  |
> another mount instance)                       |
>                                       | umount /mnt2 (fail since there
>                                       | is sb_want_write() waiting)
>
> So Alice can't thaw the fs since there is no mount point for it now.
>
> 2) Don't allow any umount of the sb if there is sb_want_write().
> More aggressive one, purpose by Miao Xie.
> Can't resolve problem 1.1) but will solve problem 1.2).

This is one of the two methods that I told you, but not the one I recommended.
What I wanted to recommend is that thaw the fs at the beginning of the
sb kill process, and in sb_want_write(), we check if the sb is active or
not after we pass sb_start_write, if the sb is not active, go back.
(This way also is not so good, but better than the above one)

> Although introduced new problem like the following:
>       Alice
> Mount devA on /mnt1
> freeze /mnt1
> sb_want_write() (waiting)
> mount devA on /mnt2 and /mnt3
>
> /mnt[123] all can't be unmounted, but new mount can still be created.
>
> 3) sb_want_write() doesn't make any sense and break VFS rules!
> Action which will change on-disk data should not be tunable through sysfs,
> and sb_want_write() things which by-pass all the VFS check is just evil.
> And for btrfs, we already have the ioctl to set label, why bothering new
> sysfs interface to do it again?
>
> Although I use method 1) to do it, I am still not certain about which is
> method is the correct one.
>
> So any advise is welcomed.
>
> Thanks,
> Qu

[SNIP]

> +/**
> + * sb_want_write - get write acess to a super block
> + * @sb: the superblock of the filesystem
> + *
> + * This tells the low-level filesystem that a write is about to be performed
> + * it, and makes sure that the writes are allowed (superblock is read-write,
> + * filesystem is not frozen) before returning success.
> + * When the write operation is finished, sb_drop_write() must be called.
> + * This is much like mnt_want_write() as a refcount, but only needs
> + * the superblock to be read-write.
> + */
> +int sb_want_write(struct super_block *sb)
> +{
> +     spin_lock(&sb->s_want_write_lock);
> +     if (sb->s_want_write_block) {
> +             spin_unlock(&sb->s_want_write_lock);
> +             return -EBUSY;
> +     }
> +     sb->s_want_write_count++;
> +     spin_unlock(&sb->s_want_write_lock);
> +
> +     sb_start_write(sb);
> +     if (sb->s_readonly_remount || sb->s_flags & MS_RDONLY) {

If someone remount the fs to R/O here(after the check), we should not continue
to change label/features. I think we need add some check in remount functions.

Thanks
Miao