On 2015-08-11 07:08, Juan Orti Alcaine wrote:
Hello,

I have added a new disk to my filesystem and I'm doing a balance right
now, but I'm a bit worried that the disk usage does not get updated as
it should. I remember from earlier versions that you could see the
disk usage being balanced across all disks.

These are the commands I've run:
# btrfs device add /dev/sdb2 /mnt/btrfs_raid1
# btrfs fi balance /mnt/btrfs_raid1

I see the unallocated space of sdc2 and sdd2 increasing, but for sdb2
(the new disk), it doesn't change. sdb2 doesn't even appear in the
btrfs usage command for data, metadata and system.

Is this normal? It's very strange the disk not showing up in the usage report.
How much slack space was allocated by BTRFS before running the balance (ie, how big a difference was there between the allocated and used space), and did the balance run to completion? If you had a lot of mostly empty chunks and stopped the balance part way through, then this is what I would expect to happen (balance back-fills partial chunks before it starts allocating new ones).

If that is not the case however, then this is very much _not_ normal, and is almost certainly a bug, in which case you should make sure any important data on the filesystem is backed up before doing anything further with it (including unmounting it or rebooting the system).