On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 5:24 PM, Chris Murphy <li...@colorremedies.com> wrote:

>> There is still data redundancy.  Will a scrub at least notice that the
>> copies differ?
>
> No, that's what I mean by "nodatasum means no raid1 self-healing is
> possible". You have data redundancy, but without checksums btrfs has
> no way to know if they differ. It doesn't do two reads and compares
> them, it's just like md raid, it picks one device, and so long as
> there's no read error from the device, that copy of the data is
> assumed to be good.

Ok, that makes sense.  I'm guessing it wouldn't be worth it to add a
feature like this because (a) few people use nodatacow or end up in my
situation, and (b) if they did, and the two copies were inconsistent,
what would you do?  I suppose for me, it would be nice to know which
files were affected.

--
Timothy Normand Miller, PhD
Assistant Professor of Computer Science, Binghamton University