[ 2918.502237] BTRFS info (device loop1): disk space caching is enabled
[ 2918.503213] BTRFS: failed to read chunk tree on loop1
[ 2918.540082] BTRFS: open_ctree failed

I just had a test RAID-1 filesystem with a missing device.  I mounted it with
the degraded option and added a new device.  I balanced it (to make it do
RAID-1 again) and thought everything was good.  Then when I tried to mount it
again it gave errors such as the above (not sure why).  Then I tried wiping
/dev/loop1 and it refused to mount entirely due to having 2 missing devices.

Obviously it was my mistake to not remove the missing device, and wiping
/dev/loop1 was a bad idea.  Failing to remove a missing device seems likely to
be a common mistake.  Could we make the balance operation automatically delete
the missing device?  I can't imagine a situation in which a balance would be
desired but deleting the missing device wouldn't be desired.