Thanks. I will be trying raid5 in production, but "production" in this case just means my home file server, with btrfs snapshot+sync for all data and appropriate offsite non-btrfs backups for critical data. If it hoses up, I'll post a bug report.

Going to try to avoid LVM, since half the appeal of btrfs for me is getting away from the multiple duct-taped layers of indirection that I you get currently with ext4/MD/LVM setups.

- Tyler

On 8/17/2015 7:48 AM, Austin S Hemmelgarn wrote:
On 2015-08-16 23:35, Tyler Bletsch wrote:
I just wanted to drop you guys a line to say that I am stunned with how
excellent btrfs is. I did some testing, and the things that it did were
amazing. I took a 4-disk RAID 5 and walked it all the way down to a
one-disk volume and back again, mixed in devices of different sizes in
different modes, balanced it in every direction, trashed data on drives
without the OS knowing, and did every other form of torture I could
think of, all while looping file integrity tests, and it was perfect.

The ease of use and simplicity were great.  I was dreading having to
administer ZFS in order to get snapshots and other features, but now I
don't have to. With the exception of enterprisey features like SSD
intent logs and stuff, it is hands down far better than ZFS.

Thanks for the great work!

It's nice to hear success stories for once. I would suggest being careful of using BTRFS raid5 or raid6 in production, there are probably still bugs that haven't yet been discovered. Secondarily, if you can deal with slightly more setup and maintenance overhead, BTRFS works _very_ well on top of LVM (it makes online data migration much easier, and provides easy ways to do layered RAID setups).