Hi Qu,

On Tue, Sep 08, 2015 at 04:56:52PM +0800, Qu Wenruo wrote:
> [[BUG]]
> One of the most common case to trigger the bug is the following method:
> 1) Enable quota
> 2) Limit excl of qgroup 5 to 16M
> 3) Write [0,2M) of a file inside subvol 5 10 times without sync
>
> EQUOT will be triggered at about the 8th write.

Does this happen on all kernels with qgroups or is this related to your
recent rewrite?

> [[CAUSE]]
> The problem is caused by the fact that qgroup will reserve space even
> the data space is already reserved.
>
> In above reproducer, each time we buffered write [0,2M) qgroup will
> reserve 2M space, but in fact, at the 1st time, we have already reserved
> 2M and from then on, we don't need to reserved any data space as we are
> only writing [0,2M).
>
> Also, the reserved space will only be freed *ONCE* when its backref is
> run at commit_transaction() time.
>
> That's causing the reserved space leaking.
>
> [[FIX]]
> The fix is not a simple one, as currently btrfs_qgroup_reserve() follow

Indeed, this is quite a large patch series and I see no testing details from
you. Can you please at the least provide a single reproducer in the form of
something that can be added to xfstests?

> the very bad btrfs space allocating principle:
>   Allocate as much as you needed, even it's not fully used.
>
> So for accurate qgroup reserve, we introduce a completely new framework
> for data and metadata.
> 1) Per-inode data reserve map
>    Now, each inode will have a data reserve map, recording which range
>    of data is already reserved.
>    If we are writing a range which is already reserved, we won't need to
>    reserve space again.
>
>    Also, for the fact that qgroup is only accounted at commit_trans(),
>    for data commit into disc and its metadata is also inserted into
>    current tree, we should free the data reserved range, but still keep
>    the reserved space until commit_trans().
>
>    So delayed_ref_head will have new members to record how much space is
>    reserved and free them at commit_trans() time.
>
> 2) Per-root metadata reserve counter
>    For metadata(tree block), it's impossible to know how much space it
>    will use exactly in advance.
>    And due to the new qgroup accounting framework, the old
>    free-at-end-trans may lead to exceeding limit.
>
>    So we record how much metadata space is reserved for each root, and
>    free them at commit_trans() time.
>    This method is not perfect, but thanks to the compared small size of
>    metadata, it should be quite good.
>
> More detailed info can be found in each commit message and source
> commend.
>
> Qu Wenruo (19):
>   btrfs: qgroup: New function declaration for new reserve implement
>   btrfs: qgroup: Implement data_rsv_map init/free functions
>   btrfs: qgroup: Introduce new function to search most left reserve
>     range
>   btrfs: qgroup: Introduce function to insert non-overlap reserve range
>   btrfs: qgroup: Introduce function to reserve data range per inode
>   btrfs: qgroup: Introduce btrfs_qgroup_reserve_data function
>   btrfs: qgroup: Introduce function to release reserved range
>   btrfs: qgroup: Introduce function to release/free reserved data range
>   btrfs: delayed_ref: Add new function to record reserved space into
>     delayed ref
>   btrfs: delayed_ref: release and free qgroup reserved at proper timing
>   btrfs: qgroup: Introduce new functions to reserve/free metadata
>   btrfs: qgroup: Use new metadata reservation.
>   btrfs: extent-tree: Add new verions of btrfs_check_data_free_space
>   btrfs: Switch to new check_data_free_space
>   btrfs: fallocate: Add support to accurate qgroup reserve
>   btrfs: extent-tree: Add new version of btrfs_delalloc_reserve_space
>   btrfs: extent-tree: Use new __btrfs_delalloc_reserve_space function
>   btrfs: qgroup: Cleanup old inaccurate facilities
>   btrfs: qgroup: Add handler for NOCOW and inline

I took a quick look through a few of these, none of them have any trace_*
functions, yet you're adding several new entrypoints to the qgroup code.
Those are incredibly useful for debugging on live systems and in fact I've
got a patch which reintroduces the ones you removed in your last patch
series ;)

This time around can you please provde tracepoints for at least your new
high level entrypoint functions into the qgroup code?

Thanks,
        --Mark

--
Mark Fasheh