On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 09:21:13AM +0800, Qu Wenruo wrote:
> Hi Omar,
>
> Thanks for your patchset.
> Quite a nice one, and debug-tree can give better output on space cache.
> With current implement, space cache is near a black box in debug-tree
> output.
>
> And current on disk format is not quite easy to understand.(In fact, space
> cache is restored in tree root, as a NODATACOW inode, quite wired)
>
> Also, it should provide a quite good base for rework inode cache for future
> development.
>

> But I'm still a little concerned about the performance.
>
> One of the problem using b-tree is, now we need to use btrfs_search_slot()
> to do modification, that means we will do level-based tree lock and COW.
> Personally speaking, I'd like to blame that for the slow metadata
> performance of btrfs.
> (Yeah personal experience, may be wrong again)
>
> So with the new implement every space cache operation will causing tree lock
> and cow.
> Unlike the old wired structure, which is done in a NODATACOW fashion.
>
> Hopes I'm wrong about it (and it seems I'm always wrong about all these
> assumption based performance thing).
>
> Thanks,
> Qu

Hey, Qu,

So the thing about the free space tree is that the B-tree is only
modified while running delayed refs, so we only incur any overhead
during a transaction commit. The numbers I got showed that the overhead
was better than the old free space cache and not too much more than not
using the cache. Now that I think about it, I only profiled it under
heavy load, though, it'd probably be a good idea to get some numbers for
more typical workloads, but I don't currently have access to any
reasonable hardware.

Thanks,
Omar

--