On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 9:53 AM, Holger Hoffstätte
<holger.hoffstae...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 09/22/15 15:38, S. Fricke wrote:
>> I have a problem with one of my btrfs hdds. If I mount it, it needs more than
>> 135 minutes for this operation. After the mounting it works normaly. This is
>> reproducible only with this hdd.
>>
>> Maybe someone has a clue what is going wrong here.
>
> On remount it tries to continue a previously started balance, which fails with
> an error (as can be seen at the end of your log). You should:
>
> a) immediately stop what you're doing on that fs and unmount it
> b) get btrfs-progs-4.2.1 (not 4.2) and see what it says
>
> Depending on the outcome of b) you can use -o skip_balance on the next mount.
>
> -h

I'm curious, do the relevant INFO lines also appear earlier in the
log, near the time the mount began?

These:

BTRFS: checking UUID tree
[  +0.000076] BTRFS info (device sda1): continuing balance

Otherwise, it requires an unknown amount of patience to diagnose this
problem -- how long should I wait before giving up?

It seems to me, from a sysadmin's perspective, the log messages are
reversed (hung task, 2+ hrs later, BTRFS tells me what it's doing) .
I'd expect BTRFS to log a "continuing balance" message as soon as I
mount it, then it's blocked [for as long as I care to wait], but I can
immediately tell what's happened.

Regards,
Richard