Hello Peter,

I have the same problem you have, as reported ~1 month ago on this mailing-list.

My setup is 2 disks, and I tried balancing after adding a third one, in a raid5 configuration. I also have some "extent buffer leak" in my btrfsck, but it's hard to say if it can be the cause. If you look at the source code you'll see that those messages are not printed by the main checking routine but by an helper subroutine, I'm not even sure it represents a problem on the filesystem (maybe somebody can sched some light here).

I tried with the 4.3-rc2 kernel, and the kernel bug is still there, unfortunately. I also posted an ftrace of the bug, hopefully somebody with enough btrfs knowledge will have a look. I reproduced this bug dozens of time, and as far as I can tell I never lost any single byte because of the crash, probably thanks to the transaction system of btrfs, so, at least there's that.

--
Stéphane.