On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 4:53 PM, Donald Pearson
<donaldwhpear...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Personally I would still recommend zfs on illumos in production,
> because it's nearly unshakeable and the creative things you can do to
> deal with problems are pretty remarkable.  The unfortunate reality is
> though that over time your system will probably grow and expand and
> zfs is very locked in to the original configuration.  Adding vdevs is
> a poor solution IMO.

This is the main thing that has kept me away from zfs - you can't
modify a vdev, like you can with an md array or btrfs.  I don't think
zfs makes use of all your space if you have mixed disk sizes in a
raid-z either - it works like mdadm.  I'm not sure whether btrfs will
be any better in that regard (if I have 2x3TB and 3x1TB drives in a
RAID5 I should get 6TB of usable space, not 4TB, without messing with
partitioning).

So, I am running raid1 btrfs in the hope that I'll be able to move to
something more efficient in the future.

However, I would not personally be using raid5/6 for anything but pure
experimentation on btrfs anytime soon.  I don't even trust the 4.1
kernel series for btrfs at all just yet, and you're not going to be
running older than that for raid5/6.

--
Rich