On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 02:36:42PM +0100, Holger Hoffstätte wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 12:34 PM, Chris Mason <c...@fb.com> wrote:

> Chris, something went definitely wrong with the 4.4-integration
> branch, and it's not the point where you merged from Josef. Mainline
> has: 0f6925fa2907df58496cabc33fa4677c635e2223 ("btrfs: Avoid truncate
> tailing page if fallocate range doesn't exceed inode size"), and that
> commit just doesn't exist in 4.4-integration any more. Neither did any
> merges touch file.c, so it
> seems this just got lost for some reason (rebase? forced push?).
> It's difficult to say what else might have gone missing.

Hi Holger,

integration-4.4 is based on 4.3-rc5, and it doesn't include any of the
btrfs commits that went in after rc5.  So if you want the latest commits
from 4.3, you just need to merge integration-4.4 with a more recent
Linus rc.

This isn't completely intuitive ;)  I could merge in 4.3-rc7, but for the
trees that I send to Linus, he prefers I not add extra merges unless it
solves some dependency (like a new API, or highly critical bug).

So when I test integration, I test it merged into Linus' latest rc, but
I apply patches on top of the older base.  It makes the resulting graph
of merges look much nicer when Linus pulls from me, and if you scroll
through the commits with git log or gitweb, its more clear where the
new commits are.

-chris