Anand Jain wrote on 2015/11/27 06:17 +0800:

Hope we are in sync on..

1.
The term auto that you are using here refs to
  'Progs default-features being updated at the _run time_'.

Yes.

2.
In the long run, mostly it would be:
   progs-version > LTS-kernel-version
(for the reason that user would need fsck,tools.. etc)

Also true.

But mkfs default features won't change during one or two LTS kernels.

With the new -O comp= option, the concern on user who want to make a
btrfs for newer kernel is hugely reduced.

NO!. actually new option -O comp= provides no concern for users who
want to create _a btrfs disk layout which is compatible with more
than one kernel_.  above there are two examples of it.

Why you can't give a higher kernel version than current kernel?

  mount fails.  Pls try !!

But that's what user want to do. He/she knows what he is doing.
Maybe he is testing btrfs-progs self test without the need to mount
it(at least some of the tests doesn't require mount)

  right. It will continue to fail even with this patch set.

Now we need to auto align feature with kernel, who know one day we will
need to auto align our libs to upstream package?

  align libs to upstream package ? is there any eg you could provide ?

IIRC, for the ancient time, libblkid is still included in e2fsprogs and its API is different from nowadays.

Will us need to support that one with different blkid calls?

Keeping a matrix with different packages like libuuid/acl/attr with
different Makefile?
At least this is not a good idea for me, and that's the work of
autoconfig IIRC.

And if I'm a package and face such problem, I'll choose the simplest
solution, just add a line in PKGBUILD(package system of Archlinux) of
btrfs.
------
depends=('linux>=3.14')
------
(Yeah, such simple and slick packaging solution is the reason I like
Arch over other rolling distribution)

Not every thing really needed to be done in code level.

  As we are handling default features at the run time, how is
  this relevant in this context. ?

I meant, it can be done in packaging level and it's much easier to do.
One dependency line vs near 200 codes.
And it's much predictable than version based detection.

Thanks,
Qu

Thanks, Anand