On 19 March 2016 at 21:34, Chris Murphy <li...@colorremedies.com> wrote:
>>>This is old. You should upgrade to something newer, ideally 4.5 but
>>>4.4.6 is good also, and then oldest I'd suggest is 4.1.20.
>>
>> Shouldn't I be able to get the newest kernel by executing "apt-get update &&
>> apt-get dist-upgrade"?
>> That's what I ran just now, and it doesn't install a newer kernel. Do I
>> really have to manually upgrade to a newer one?
>
> I'm not sure. You might do a list search for debian, as I know debian
> users are using newer kernels that they didn't build themselves.
>

>> On top of the sticky situation i'm already in, i'm not sure if I trust
>> myself manually building a new kernel. Should I?

If you enable Debian backports, which I assume you have since you're
running the version of btrfs-progs that was backported without a
warning not to use it with old kernels...well, if backports are
enabled then you can try:

apt-get install -t jessie-backports linux-image-4.3.0-0.bpo.1-amd64

linux-4.3.x was a complete mess for both my laptop (Thinkpad X220,
quite well supported), and I'm not sure if it was driver-related or
btrfs-related.  I actually started tracking linux-4.4 at rc1, it was
so bad.

If you don't want to try building your own kernel, I'd file a bug
report against linux-image-amd64 asking for a backport of linux-4.4,
which is in Stretch/testing; I'm surprised it hasn't been backported
yet...  The only issue I remember is an error message when booting, I
think because the microcode interface changed between 4.3.x and 4.4.x.
Installing microcode-related packages from backports is how think I
worked around this.

Alternatively, if you want to build your own kernel you might be able
to install linux-image from backports, download and untar linux-4.1.x
somewhere, and then copy the config from /boot/config-4.3* to
somedir/linux-4.1.x/.config.

I uploaded two scripts to github that I've been using for ages to
track the upstream LTS kernel branch that Debian didn't choose.  You
can find them here:

https://github.com/sten0/lts-convenience

All those syncs and btrfs sub sync lines are there because I always
seem to run strange issues with adding and removing snapshots.

Cheers,
Nicholas