I'm not an expert by any means, but I did a migration like this a few weeks ago.

The most consistent recommendation on this mailing list is to use the
newest kernels and btrfs-progs feasible. I did my migration using
Fedora 24 live media, which at the time was kernel ~4.3. I see your
btrfs-progs is a little old. Maybe the kernel is as well and has a
bug.

I know you tried a bunch of variations, but it would be helpful if you
posted the commands you've tried. Perhaps the most obvious problem
that could be occurring is trying to send a RW subvol, which is
illegal. I can't tell if you made a RO snapshot first, but your
success with ROOT indicates you're aware of this limitation. I'm
guessing that there's some problem with the destination path that
you're providing. The path should be the containing subvol where you
want it to go, not the destination name (i.e. btrfs receive
/var/media/backups/ not btrfs receive /var/media/backups/HOME).

Here's some send/receive commands that I've successfully used
recently. Maybe they'll point you in the right direction:

pull a RO snapshot from a remote system:

cd ~/ksp/backups
ssh 192.168.0.122 "sudo btrfs send
/home/justin/ksp/backups/2016-03-15-17:24" | sudo btrfs receive .
mv 2016-03-15-17:24 ../current

Note how I received into the backups directory and have no control
over the initial subvol name. I mv it to the proper location and name
afterwards.

move a RO snapshot between local file system:

cd /tmp/old-btrfs/
sudo btrfs subvol snap -r home home-snap
cd /tmp/new-btrfs/
sudo btrfs send /tmp/old-btrfs/home-snap | sudo btrfs receive .
sudo btrfs subvol snapshot home-snap home
sudo btrfs subvol delete home-snap

Fedora names it's /home subvol "home."

You *shouldn't* need to mess around with advanced mounting options to
get this to work.