Zachary Vance posted on Sun, 17 Apr 2016 18:46:13 -0700 as excerpted:

> I was already making sure all -c references were both present and
> unmodified, I think the confusion is mostly around whether the parent
> required to use -c, and whether it's an implicit reference volume in
> particular. If it's required, it's impossible to preserve de-duplication
> after deleting the original parent which would be really bad.

AFAIK, send -c does require a parent, but if there's clones and no parent
given, it will try to pick its own from the list of clones given.

Which explains the error complaining about being unable to find a parent,
when given only clone sources that (based on your reproducer) had nothing
in common with the snapshots listed as clones.