On 2016-05-20 18:26, Henk Slager wrote:
Yes, sorry, I took some shortcut in the discussion and jumped to a
method for avoiding this 0.5-2% slowdown that you mention. (Or a
kernel crashing in bcache code due to corrupt SB on a backing device
or corrupted caching device contents).
I am actually bit surprised that there is a measurable slowdown,
considering that it is basically just one 8KiB offset on a certain
layer in the kernel stack, but I haven't looked at that code.
There's still a layer of indirection in the kernel code, even in the pass-through mode with no cache, and that's probably where the slowdown comes from. My testing was also in a VM with it's backing device on an SSD though, so you may get different results on other hardware
I don't know other tables than MBR and GPT, but this bcache SB
'insertion' works with both. Indeed, if GRUB is involved, it can get
complicated, I have avoided that. If there is less than 8KiB slack
space on a HDD, I would worry about alignment/performance first, then
there is likely a reason to fully rewrite the HDD with a standard 1M
alingment.
The 'alignment' things is mostly bogus these days. It originated when 1M was a full track on the disk, and you wanted your filesystem to start on the beginning of a track for performance reasons. On most modern disks though, this is not a full track, but it got kept because a number of bootloaders (GRUB included) used to use the slack space this caused to embed themselves before the filesystem. The only case where 1M alignment actually makes sense is on SSD's with a 1M erase block size (which are rare, most consumer devices have a 4M erase block). As far as partition tables, you're not likely to see any other formats these days (the only ones I've dealt with other than MBR and GPT are APM (the old pre-OSX Apple format), RDB (the Amiga format, which is kind of neat because it can embed drivers), and the old Sun disk labels (from before SunOS became Solaris)), and I had actually forgotten that a GPT is only 32k, hence my comment about it potentially being an issue.
If there is more partitions and the partition in front of the one you
would like to be bcached, I personally would shrink it by 8KiB (like
NTFS or swap or ext4 ) if that saves me TeraBytes of datatransfers.
Definitely, although depending on how the system is set up, this will almost certainly need down time.

This also doesn't change the fact that without careful initial formatting
(it is possible on some filesystems to embed the bcache SB at the beginning
of the FS itself, many of them have some reserved space at the beginning of
the partition for bootloaders, and this space doesn't have to exist when
mounting the FS) or manual alteration of the partition, it's not possible to
mount the FS on a system without bcache support.

If we consider a non-bootable single HDD btrfs FS, are you then
suggesting that the bcache SB could be placed in the first 64KiB where
also GRUB stores its code if the FS would need booting ?
That would be interesting, it would mean that also for btrfs on raw
device (and also multi-device) there is no extra exclusive 8KiB space
needed in front.
Is there someone who has this working? I think it would lead to issues
on the blocklayer, but I have currently no clue about that.
I don't think it would work on BTRFS, we expect the SB at a fixed location into the device, and it wouldn't be there on the bcache device. It might work on ext4 though, but I'm not certain about that. I do know of at least one person who got it working with a FAT32 filesystem as a proof of concept though. Trying to do that even if it would work on BTRFS would be _really_ risky though, because the kernel would potentially see both devices, and you would probably have the same issues that you do with block level copies.