On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 04:00:00AM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> On 05/25/16 02:29, Hugo Mills wrote:
> > On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 01:58:15AM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm looking at using a btrfs with snapshots to implement a generational
> >> backup capacity.  However, doing it the naïve way would have the side
> >> effect that for a file that has been partially modified, after
> >> snapshotting the file would be written with *mostly* the same data.  How
> >> does btrfs' COW algorithm deal with that?  If necessary I might want to
> >> write some smarter user space utilities for this.
> >
> >    Sounds like it might be a job for one of the dedup tools
> > (deupremove, bedup), or, if you're writing your own, the safe
> > deduplication ioctl which underlies those tools.
> >

> I guess I would prefer if data wasn't first duplicated and then
> deduplicated if possible.  It sounds like I ought to write a "smart
> copy-overwrite" tool for this.

   I _think_ rsync --in-place may help here. IIRC, it'll only
overwrite the sections of files that have changed, rather than write
and replace the whole file. (I may be wrong about that, though. I
haven't tested it at that level).

   There's also the in-band dedup patches that have been on the
mailing list recently. That's probably going to need massive amounts
of RAM, though.

   Hugo.

--
Hugo Mills             | Putting U back in Honor, Valor, and Trth.
hugo@... carfax.org.uk |