Hi Chris,

since you are using a recent LTS kernel on your centos/rockstor, i guess
the kernel errors might help to find some bugs here.

can you give the devs the errors from your logs?
additionally basic info on your raid settings would be nice to, but
which specific details the devs should ask on demand.

But generally speaking raid5/6 works quiet ok in every day use for less
important data, but there a major bugs when it comes to failing disks or
in general when you try to replace harddrives.
I have a similar problem right now. I added a new drive to an array and
while deleting an older drive the new drive failed :-( So i ended up
rescuing all data (8TB) to an new array with "btrfs restore". This took
over a week, cause there is currently no switch to automaticly cancel
looping while recovering. So you will have to manually apply the cancel
command on every file it starts to loop, which might be a lot.

In general adding a new drive and afterwards removing the old one is
more save than the replace method, at least right now (as of kernel
4.5/4.6). But major bug fixes are in the works and there is hope that
raid5/6 becomes more reliable next year.

so good luck!