On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 1:45 PM, Omari Stephens <x...@xsdg.org> wrote:
> [Note: not on list; please reply-all]
>
> I've read everything I can find about running out of space on btrfs, and it
> hasn't helped.  I'm currently dead in the water.
>
> Everything I do seems to make the problem monotonically worse — I tried
> adding a loopback device to the fs, and now I can't remove it.  Then I tried
> adding a real device (mSATA) to the fs and now I still can't remove the
> loopback device (which is making everything super slow), and I also can't
> remove the mSATA.  I've removed about 100GB from the filesystem and that
> hasn't done anything either.
>
> Is there anything I can to do even figure out how bad things are, what I
> need to do to make any kind of forward progress?  This is a laptop, so I
> don't want to add an external drive only to find out that I can't remove it
> without corrupting my filesystem.
>
> ### FILESYSTEM STATE
> 19:23:14> [root{slobol}@/home/xsdg]
> #btrfs fi show /home
> Label: none  uuid: 4776be5b-5058-4248-a1b7-7c213757dfbd
>     Total devices 3 FS bytes used 221.02GiB
>     devid    1 size 418.72GiB used 413.72GiB path /dev/sda3
>     devid    2 size 10.00GiB used 5.00GiB path /dev/loop0
>     devid    3 size 14.91GiB used 3.00GiB path /dev/sdb1
>

> 19:23:33> [root{slobol}@/home/xsdg]
> #btrfs fi usage /home
> Overall:
>     Device size:         443.63GiB
>     Device allocated:         421.72GiB
>     Device unallocated:          21.91GiB
>     Device missing:             0.00B
>     Used:             221.68GiB
>     Free (estimated):         219.24GiB    (min: 208.29GiB)
>     Data ratio:                  1.00
>     Metadata ratio:              2.00
>     Global reserve:         228.00MiB    (used: 36.00KiB)
>
> Data,single: Size:417.69GiB, Used:220.36GiB
>    /dev/loop0       5.00GiB
>    /dev/sda3     409.69GiB
>    /dev/sdb1       3.00GiB
>
> Metadata,single: Size:8.00MiB, Used:0.00B
>    /dev/sda3       8.00MiB
>
> Metadata,DUP: Size:2.00GiB, Used:674.45MiB
>    /dev/sda3       4.00GiB
>
> System,single: Size:4.00MiB, Used:0.00B
>    /dev/sda3       4.00MiB
>
> System,DUP: Size:8.00MiB, Used:56.00KiB
>    /dev/sda3      16.00MiB
>
> Unallocated:
>    /dev/loop0       5.00GiB
>    /dev/sda3       5.00GiB
>    /dev/sdb1      11.91GiB
>

> ### BALANCE FAILS, EVEN WITH -dusage=0
> 19:23:02> [root{slobol}@/home/xsdg]
> #btrfs balance start -v -dusage=0 .
> Dumping filters: flags 0x1, state 0x0, force is off
>   DATA (flags 0x2): balancing, usage=0
> ERROR: error during balancing '.': No space left on device
> There may be more info in syslog - try dmesg | tail
>

> ### CAN'T REMOVE DEVICES -> ENOSPC
> #btrfs device remove /dev/loop0 /home
> ERROR: error removing device '/dev/loop0': No space left on device

Well the big problem here is that it's a loop device so even if it
were a known/fixed bug you're stuck being unable to boot; well, except
you could add a big enough device, convert to raid1, and reboot with
rootflags=degraded.

I'd use the external to make a backup, and start planning to make a
new fs, at least until someone else with a better idea arrives on
scene.

--
Chris Murphy